Monday, April 18, 2011

Gearing up with Rogue

So with this week being filled with Rogues Choc Stout I thought I would get in the mood with a couple of their beers I have in my collection.

Having recently tried the Dead Guy Ale I am finding a new found appreciation for this brewery. I remember apart from the Chocolate Stout, I hadn't really enjoyed their others beers when I was in their brewery, but to be honest, I was comparing them to the level of the Choc, so it is no wonder I was a bit disappointed. Still, with time I am finding it easier now to look at these beers without that expectation, and allow me to enjoy them for what they are, not what I would like them to be.

The American Amber Ale has a bit of hop nose on it and was surprised on first taste to get a big hit of a honeyed hop flavour which I quite liked. The texture of the beer was just enough to allow this honey flavour to coat the tongue but not leave a syrupy aftertaste. After having tasted something similar in the Moo Brew Pilsner, this hop style is interesting me more. There was still the background of hop to help cleanse the tongue, but seemed combined with that the honey, but seems part of the hop profile. a bit strange, but interesting. Not sure if the hop actually creates the honey flavour, but would be interested to find how they come with the flavour. Could actually be a hop I would like to use in my own brewing.

The Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout had almost an imperial stout aspect to it, which what seemed like higher alcohol with the malt, and the oatmeal really helps thicken up the beer. However, it seems like it also strips the beer of a bit of flavour, and they have tried to combat this in the brewing process by trying to give it an imperial nature. I remember specifically not really liking this beer when I had it on tap in a pub in Portland, but maybe I have just gotten better at tasting beer in the last couple of years, and so I am better able to appreciate it.

Hmm, am definitely ready to get on some choc stouts when in Adelaide in a couple of days. However, I just found out Slowbeer will have the Holgate Empress on growlers this week. Arrrgh, what a conundrum! why does all the chocolate beer come around at the same time...hmm, Easter maybe!!!???? Methinks a choc beer tasting will be one soon with a collection starting to grow in my bedroom...

Cheers,

Beef

No comments: